Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Jump Focus, Continuing Chute, First Frame



  This past Monday night, Tarot and I got a lot of training in, more than I expected.  I wanted to focus on jumping instead of continuing to put emphasis on the foundation training for the other equipment.  At this point, to perform something more than three or four times becomes ineffective for learning and we need to practice with clearing bars.

  Jumping
  Diane helped with evaluating our Jump chute performance on Sunday and helped with keeping Tarot’s focus on last Jump instead of on me.  Since we do a lot of Obedience, Tarot is left side dependent and constantly looks back for direction.  This is a common problem that will be smoothed out as the dog learns to move its body and look elsewhere for fun things to do.  Waiting for the other dogs to run their turns, Alexa suggested I try Susan Salo’s jumping technique and a quick Youtube search later revealed a different approach I figured to try during my Monday night training.

  The following night, I started out with a Pin Wheel which will help work out the “left side” dependence Tarot has.  I was also pleased to see her move with confidence and being mindful of stride movement.  We moved on to some of the other equipment and returned to Jump practice.  Two Jumps were set at six feet apart; one bar set at 8” and the other at 16”.  The idea is to use the lower set Jump to create stride and the second Jump is the focus for height.  In a few passes, Tarot was able to easily clear 20”.  Adding this to the practice session should be a big help introducing 24”, wraps, handling, and the Oxer Jumps.

  Video is about a minute if you are interested in watching some Jump practice.



  Chute Sequence
  Also included is video showing Tarot performing the “first Chute of the session”.  We have not practiced in two weeks and the last time she saw this was the first time she went through at full length.  I wanted to see what she did remember and how she would handle it.  I was pleased to see her push through even if it seemed slow.  As I added the Chute to other sequences, Tarot was gaining confidence, moving faster, and having fun.

  Video is about 12 seconds for Chute sequence





  Frame
  Finally, the coolest accomplishment of the night was the Frame.  Normally we would lower the Frame to an apex of three or four feet, but I do not have help. Having worked foundations and the DogWalk, I wanted to see if Tarot was willing to try the Frame at full height.  I was very surprised to see her haul up and down like she has always done this.

  Video is about 25 seconds for Frame



  Enjoy!

  Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment