Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Nosework – Unpaired Birch Hides in 3 Groups of 2

I set three different groups of two Birch hides; the first two groups were set out at the same time and the third set after the others were found.  In the past, Tarot has focused on the furthest hide and works her way back to where she started, which is not good if we have to work a large area.  The two searches were far enough apart and there was a good breeze, so I thought this would be interesting.

First Area
  Two hides were placed upwind from where we started to be fair to a dog that had been sitting in a crate waiting and need to mentally shift gears to work mode.  A metal container was placed on the table mid-area and the other was in a drinking straw next to a large brick.  With a strong wind, I suspected this would not create an issue with converging odor, but I could only guess what scent was doing.
  I am not sure which location Tarot caught first, but she choose to cut through the search area and work the grass line to her first find.  Afterwards she had to circle around to pinpoint where the other one was.  At about 55 seconds, at first when Tarot stopped under the table, I thought she was problem solving.  I realized she was *crittering and stepped away with her following to return to work.  Later at 1.30, she stopped again to re-investigate ground litter.  My initial thought was crittering, but almost immediately she slowly tracked back to the table and followed the edges straight to source.  Although Tarot did not stick her nose on the hide, she knew it was there and I decided to encourage her to jump up for her reward.
   Never sure when something really is useful in this sport.

Second Area
  I realized this covered area was similar in layout to the one we just worked, but it was isolated by bordering overgrowth.  When we approached, it was from upwind and Tarot put herself on the opposite side where she picked up scent.  After finding the first plastic tube Hide, the overgrowth appeared to capture odor and it was patience as she figured out where the metal canister was.
I love the nose bonk and look on Tarot’s face when she finally found it as it shows they really are searching with their noses.

Third Area
 I was mean because could not pass up the opportunity to set a Hide on the Porta Potty.  The building we train in is heavy with chlorine from the swimming pool and disinfectants from the kennels which sometimes cause a distraction.  I figured this Porta Potty was not used much and would offer another chemical scent to work through.
One Hide was placed upwind on the ground and covered with small rocks and the other downwind on the door hinge of the Porta Potty.  Tarot chose to go left and surprised me by coming back along the overgrowth to suddenly make a sharp right to the first hide.  From there, it was moving downwind far enough to refocus and pick up scent.  I was not sure if Tarot was using the high grass to track to source or if it was crittering again, so she went deeper than I liked until it was confirmed.  From that point it was about me keeping moving to let her catch scent again and work it back to source.

Video is just over four minutes of searching for six hides.
Enjoy!
Joyce

**Crittering = Dog is not following designated scent/odor, but something of its own interest.



No comments:

Post a Comment