Saturday, October 8, 2016

Torch's Third NW1 Trial

A Few Months Late, But Happy Birthday

  There were no plans to enter any more NoseWork trials until next year, but I threw a wrench into my own plan when a few NW1 and NW3 trials suddenly popped up.  I honestly thought Niven, Torch, and Tarot would be wait-listed, but the fates saw different.  Torch got into the Oxford, MD NW1 and Tarot got into the Hawley, PA NW3.  At least part of the plan worked and Niven is in holding at number 152.

  At the time I submitted trial entries I had been compiling a training log of my NoseWork experience.  Entering Torch's information, I started to catch a non-pattern, pattern.  He missed one Anise ORT and I labeled it as the dog fringing and the handler not being recognizing it.  To help remedy this issue, we worked ORT boxes to a pass.  Torch then failed Containers at his first NW1 and I figured the hot room conditions helped moved odor along the linoleum flooring to create a perfect odor storm.   Every available opportunity that came up to work odor on slick flooring, we were there.  I entered a second NW1 confident fringing was behind us and Torch misses the Interior search.  Where do we go from here, what will work to help iron the fringing issue out?

  I was willing to believe Torch had a sliding odor problem that led to fringing alerts, but using the three missed searches. there seemed to be a connection for two factors only.
  • Anise ORT and Containers were both closed boxes on linoleum in a hot room, Interior was a stool in the center of a wood floored, cool room.
  • Anise ORT and Containers were held during a dry day, Interiors had a rainy morning.
  • Containers and Interior were 65F during Spring & Fall, while Anise ORT was 20F in the dead of Winter.
  As I thought through the different environments and conditions, it suddenly came to me.  There was a common thread after all.  All three rooms were heavy on the wet wood, musty, bunkhouse/church basement smell.  Being preoccupied with handling, my human nose worked my brain to dismissing this factor during the searches.

  To test the theory I would need access to this condition, but it is hard to replicate without building access.  During the summer months, I took advantage of a local park pavilion after a rain and found Torch had difficultly finding hides. I think I am on to something and continued to work on exposure.

 There was one other behavior I noticed between the November and April trials.  For the first trial, Torch had a hard time with focusing on task, yet this was the most serious dog I have.  When we attended the April trial both Torch and Niven were in the van for trialing and Torch was hammering out searches faster than in practice.  Could he dependent on having the other dogs in the van?

 Independent of each other, but giving the credit to Mike, we came up with the idea that Torch needs to be worked alone.  The chaos that ensued when we left the house after work every few days was true sacrifice, but the effects were well worth it.  During our first outing, Torch kept looking back for direction, confused on what was wanted.   At then end of three weeks and returning to the same location as our first evening, there was a remarkable difference.  I may not be able to get the environmental exposure, but he loved being the "only dog to go".

  Labor Day weekend came quickly and I have to admit my motivation to drive three hours into a predicted tropical storm was low.  Anyone who has gone through a series of set backs knows this feeling.  You find ways to get into the van and drive to the destination no matter what.  If Torch had a good round of searches and missed one, we still had practice and a good time.  If we got wet or had to search through the environments where we struggle, it was still training.  It helped that I promised to volunteer for the Saturday NW3 and had to be there.

  Torch patiently waited in the car while I watched NW3 Vehicles and worked the hot boxes in the Container searches.  Afterward, we headed to the hotel, had multiple walks, and spent the evening driving around the neighborhood.  So far the tropical storm was veering off the predicted course and out to sea.  Trial day was looking up for us.

 In rarity, the weekend's trials were held on a private estate.  The search areas were gravel, marble title, and poured or lamented concrete.  It is not very often you get this type of trial site, so the deviation from boy scout camps was very welcomed.  Torch was listed as dog number 30, so the trial was well on its way when we started our trek up the long driveway.


Exterior Search
Area probably had more stuff, but we never got there to remember it
  I was late getting to the Gate Steward and did not have the advantage of stopping at each station.  I also knew better than to run Torch to the search area, but we wasted no time.  No sooner then we reached the final station than we were called for our turn.

The area was a covered breezeway between the garage and pool house.  Everything was new construction and the poured concrete promised to be easy on feet and noses.  There were small support columns along the right wall and stuff was strategically placed for an easy line pattern if worked that way.

  I stopped just before the landing to get the lead switched to Torch's harness and slow walked to the threshold.  The breezeway would act as an odor chute and I wanted to use that to our advantage.  At this point he was leaning forward and wanted to get to work.  I knew better than to hold him too long, but during those seconds, he started to direct himself to the left and I let him go.

 There had been a strong wind earlier and I expected odor would travel into us and stick on everything in this outdoor hallway. Torch stayed to the left and while moving past the first object, suddenly took interest. At first I thought this was information gathering, except Torch was working to a single point.

  It was completely possible the CO placed the hide close to the starting line, but the area's conditions could create pooled odor and trap a dog with fringing issues.  I took the risk, called the alert and received the "yes".  While everyone was excited, Torch on the other hand looked disappointed there was nothing more to search.

  We walked the quarter mile back to the van to wait for the next search.
  Corgis have short legs.
  Poor Torch.



Vehicle Search
  There was a wait for our turn, but this time I was paying attention when our number was called.  We were able to make our stops and not power walk to pant through the search.  There were two cars to search, both parked bumper to bumper alongside of the kennel building.  There were also two trailers that were not part of the area.  My biggest concern was the newly laid gravel and how well Torch's paw pads would handle the surface.  

  Lead was changed out and we walked to the threshold.  While holding his harness, Torch seemed to air scent to the right and when released moved that way to cut me off.  My plan had been to shorten the lead and walk him up to the bumper, then cast him off a few feet out.  The cut off caused me to  speed up to leg bump him back toward the car, resulting in an approach angle that landed Torch's nose near the right side.  

  I anticipated he would continue along the side of the car, but Torch's nose super stuck to the bumper and he turned back to trail to the center.  I turned to watched as he sniffed the edges of the license plate and stopped.  I called the alert and got the "yes" along with an apology from the judge for having us walk all that way for a short search.

  Back to the van we went.


Torch loves Vehicle searches






  Up until now, the trial was moving at remarkable speed, but the officials decided to pause for lunch.  That gave me more time to contemplate the Container and Interior searches, how many ways things can go wrong, and focus on our weak points.  Both searches were to be held back to back, so if there was a failure I had no other option than to re-focus and move on.

  When the trial started again for the afternoon elements, waiting for the twenty-nine other dogs to cycle through was even more maddening.  Finally we were station hopping up to the main house.  


Container Search
Set in a three car garage, the design met the requirements for an auxiliary hosting space.  The flooring was laminated paint over concrete with one wall being the garage doors.  The day before the NW3 Container search was held in this same room, but I was glad to see we would be entering from the opposite side.  Someone later said the room was hot, but I never noticed.

  We entered and I changed out the lead, took the harness, and slow walked toward the blue line on the floor.  Torch was stiffly moving, but I got the impression he was not picking anything up.  When released, he seemed to hesitate until realizing there were ORT boxes lining the floor.  I followed along behind as Torch moved forward, not taking any interest in what was in front of him.

  Reaching the last box in the left and center rows, I figured to move Torch down the opposite side and went wide in turning.  He came back to the center end box and suddenly became interested in the corner box.  Having worked this room the day before, I knew the garage doors had pulled a few dogs  away from searching, but I also knew it could move odor to surrounding objects.  

 While he was sniffing the box, I kept thinking this could not be it.  Maybe it was the same behavior as the failed Anise ORT or not, but everything was screaming not to call it.  Yet Torch continued to detail and did not come with me when I stepped away.  There is a time when you have to give credit to the unknown and take the risk.  I called the alert.

  There was a long second before I got the "yes" and the rush of flooded relief over me was more than I have ever experienced in years of competition.  I could only breath deeply while giving a quarter of a hot dog and reset the focus for the final search.


Laminated flooring posed no problem




Interior Search
 There were two rooms to wait in before the call for our start.  I was glad for extra few minutes to pull myself together and the air conditioning was welcomed, even for Torch.  Why the Container search had the effect on me it did, I have no idea.  In April we had no problem with Containers, but I guess I was over thinking this one and did not realize it?

  We were standing in a small kitchen with the search room door about to open.  I wanted Torch to be ready and not paying attention to what I was doing when that happened, but got caught in mid-action.  We slow walked to the door frame, waited a few seconds, and Torch casted off.

  The room was an enclosed pool or garden room for hosting large parties.  The officials had run a caution tape through the center to mark what was space was active.  The stonework fireplace pedestal in the center could be used for information, but was not live.  Originally we were told this would be an on lead search, but just before starting they changed it to "your choice".  I knew better and elected to limit the possibilities.

  Torch pulled to the right and immediately cut under the area boundary line.  I knew the room was huge and with only half of it in play, Torch would immediately go out of bounds.  That thought was being proven accurate and for once I was glad he was on lead.  I also knew we were wasting time as I let him move around the officials and pedestal, but were we going for a fast search or accurate one?

  I was caught up in how I could redirect Torch's attention to something searchable when he suddenly cut a line across the room to a mop bucket.  I was transfixed watching his nose detail; a drawn invisible line up the side to the bucket lip.  Realization yanked me from observation, this was the hide and not investigation.  I took a breath and called the alert. 

 Another long moment spanned the "yes" and congratulations from the judge.  All I wanted to do was scream or do something other than calmly pet the dog, but I am sure the sound would have reverberated through the estate property.

Best decision, staying on lead


  For the first time after completing a trial and title, I felt like we accomplished something.  I was not disappointed the day went too fast and now we are on to the next level.  Not this time.  This time it was over and done.

 The Torch man rocked.  He was relaxed and had fun being the only dog.  He was focused and direct, showing how far we have both come in this sport.  He was confused as to why there was only one hide per search, but continued to work the thresholds and make immediate decisions.  

 The Awards Ceremony started and Torch got his NW1 as a Pronounced Title and I wanted to cry.  As they announced the element placements, Torch received a second place in Vehicles.  There are always faster dogs out there and this was a tough field of competitors.  The biggest shock was about to happen.  Torch won first place in Over All Searches, basically High In Trial.  Now I had to fight back the tears.

  I managed to hold it together until after I got back to the van.  Yup, I admit it.  I bawled.  I refuse to give up on this dog especially when it took so long to find his sport.

  One final point about the day, in later analysis I remembered the Container Hot Box was in the exact same spot as one of the NW3 hides from the previous day.  I never thought about that possibility at the time.  Glad I did not because that alone would have done it.


  Torch:
  NW1 with a Pronounced title
  2nd place in the Vehicle Search
  1st place in Overall Searches with combined time of 37.71 seconds


Corgi legs are short, but Torch pulled this photo off
Photographer: Michael Rickenback



  Side note from four weeks into the future:
  During the last month there has been a remarkable difference in Torch's searches.  His confidence has grown, determination emerged, and he is finally anchoring hides.  I think this will be a fun winter of continued practice for the 2017 trials.

  Hope you enjoyed!

  Joyce Smuda
  www.foxglen.net

No comments:

Post a Comment