Sunday, October 18, 2015

Niven's NW1 Trial

  I wanted to learn more about detection work and when Nosework was finally offered in this area, I was glad to sign Niven up for a class.  Although there are differences between NW Dogs and Detection Dogs, training is relatively the same and I figured this would be a great start for learning.  I was not interested in picking up another competitive sport, but the longer you attend class the more trialing comes to the forefront.

  Without going into detail of Niven's background, it took me a year and a half to realize we were not progressing.  Behaviors that should have emerged never did and some that did should have been quelled immediately.  When two other dogs I was working progressed in less time, I knew it was time to stop what I was doing and figure out a solution.  By this point my confidence in Niven's alerting ability was zero percent and not getting any higher.  If it were not for my initial reason for getting involved to learn or that I hate to fail a dog, Niven would have been retired before a career was started.

  To begin troubleshooting, cardboard boxes were again pulled out, creative games were thought of, and a new class was found. It took about two months to see a solid difference with success and a few more to see the progress that had been lacking.  My confidence with  Niven had risen to ninty percent and my classmates easily convinced me to enter the ORT for Birch.  Even though the ORT went well and Niven passed, traces of her old behaviors popped up.  We took a short time off for surgery and came back stronger and consistent.  Unfortunatley, even now those old behaviors creep back and I am reminded how far we have come.  

  Later the ORTs for Anise and Clove were completed with no time lost, confirming it was time to try a Level 1 trial.  I could not enter a trial until now due to family obligations so this weekend was not only Niven's first NW trial, but mine as well.


NW1 Trial
  I  had to leave early to complete a two hour drive which turned out for the best, as I found a Burger King in a shopping plaza with a large grass area.  Niven and I were able to stretch our legs without worrying about breaking rules or walking where we should not be.  When we finally arrived at the Boy Scout camp where the trial was being held, we joined our classmates in making a parking lot camp and the day was made more fun.

  After check-in we found our small camp was split and Niven was to start with Vehicles & Interiors, followed by Containers & Exteriors in the afternoon.  Nivie and I were scheduled to run 18th and when it was finally our turn, we did the long walk through the forest to the large building where we had the first wait.  The walk helped and she was better at standing still until we were called to the final station.  There we sat waiting for the Search Stewart to call us, which by that time we had been down wind and air scenting for a while.




  We slow walked to the threshold line and I sent her on to search.  I was too focused on the determined trot of my dog to realize the significance of the moment.  All I could think was I needed to start trotting to keep up, but without crowding and potentially pushing her off odor.  No sooner did I pick up my pace then Niven abruptly turned to go back to the front of the car on the left.  I barely got out of the way and turned to watch her nose trace along the license plate and eventually stop.  

  Normally Niven will alert by looking at me while bouncing on her front legs, but two weeks ago she changed her alert.  I sighed, held my breath, called the alert, and was thrilled to here the "Yes" from the judge.  I gave her a large chunk of the hot dog I stopped at Wawa on the way to buy and l loved the look on her face when she realized it was more yummy than the generic ones she normally gets.

  There was no time to do more than quietly praise and we were off to complete the next search.





  The biggest concern I had about this room was the lamenant steps that led to linoleum flooring.  We got down the steps and to the threshold without worry.  Nivie's nose was twitching and when sent off, she immediately went to a folding chair around the corner.  Like the Vehicle search, she worked to find the hide and and her alert was weak which I delayed in calling.  I was relieved to hear the "Yes" again and Nivie did her dance for the hot dog.

  I wish I could offer more in critique, but Niven was so quick to find both hides it was hard to learn anything.  We left the test area and took another path through the woods and back to the van to wait for the remaining few dogs to complete their searches and lunch break.  From parking lot conversation, it seemed a lot of the dogs from our group did well on both searches, but from the other group, Containers posed an issue.  

  Lunch completed and we were back to watching the number board until it was time to go again.  One aspect discussed was the "station hop" and the effect it has on the dogs.  For me, we started with a long walk to the first station, but now we had to cover the same distance with two stops before the final call in.  Again, Niven is not good about waiting, but she entertained herself by making her famous "disappointed whale" noises and air scenting.

  Air scenting.  I suddenly realized every chair I had to sit in for ten minutes was downwind from not only the Exterior Hide, but the Vehicle Hide as well.  We were basically sitting in constant, converging odor.  To distract myself I focused on the day and location.  I think my dad would be pleased that we were at a Boy Scout camp for something cool like Nosework.  The leaves were bright yellow and it looked like it was snowing with the stiff wind that was carrying converging odor up the hill right at us.  Eventually we were next and I was glad to have the torment ended.





  Here is where knowing so many dogs had problems with a search area is not beneficial.  Niven and I slow walked to the threshold and after send off, immediately indicted the first box, but did two things that led me to believe it was a fringe alert.  First, although the nose was over the lid seams I was not certain this was a true alert because she was pawing the the box.  That is a behavior she does when it is the wrong box and she is testing waters.  It was one of the issues that had been trained out a year ago. Was this the problem that knocked everyone from the other grouo out??  

  The second, to test the strength of this 'alert' I took a few steps and she came with me.  Not a good sign.  I mentally marked the box and very quickly walked the rest to make sure there was no other "real" one hiding out there.  I was now sure that first box was it, as none of the others caught her interest. We returned to the first box and Niven displayed a more normal alert.  I made the call and was happy to hear the "Yes". 





  While waiting for the judges to get into position, Niven's nose was twitching as she air scented.  For the last time, we tried to slow walk to the threshold, where she went to the left once released.  Following the concrete wall to the grass area she appeared to work the taller grass and U shaped piped sticking out of the ground.  I was fine with this as long as information was obtained and she moved on, which was done quickly.

  When Niven moved toward the table laying on its side, I was in the way and tried to move to offer more space.  Instead, she read my body movement as a push and turned to go away from me.  She appeared to catch something and took interest in a wheeled plant stand and stopped.  Without waiting, I called the alert and was happy to hear another "Yes".  Nivie was very happy to get another third of a hot dog and I was glad to survive this set of hides. 

 The wind was brutal, the wait long, and the day tiring.  It was not until someone asked if that was our title, that I realized it was.  
  I suddenly wanted to cry.  
  Three years of a journey just came to an end and I had planned to retire her after the NW1 was obtained.

  I held it together as we walked back to the van and while our friends cheered for Niven.



  The trial ended with everyone gathering together to listen to the Judges and CO discuss their observations from throughout the day.  It was interesting to hear generalized feedback and why hide locations were chosen.   Afterward they announced the winner of the Harry Award and Placement Winners for each Element and Over All searches.

  I was shocked and still am to have heard Niven's name called as the 1st place winner of the Vehicle search (09.75 seconds) and then again for 3rd place for Over All searches (1 min.10 seconds).  We even got a Pronounced for the Exterior search, which I thought was cool.  For this trial, I went with the mind set of gaining experience and at least surviving four hides.  I was not anticipating the additional wins and was even more proud of myself for holding back an all out cry in front of fifty people.

  As a first time competitor with a dog I had to retrain to get this far, I am really proud of Niven.  I know she enjoyed being the only dog to go sniff stuff and she did it well.  I am proud of myself for making the decisions I did because of the long road behind us.  Judges do not know that story.   I can only hope Torch and Tarot have the same type of fun day Niven did with their upcoming trials.

  According to my classmates.......I am not allowed to retire my nearly ten year old Lab.  I guess a NW2 trial needs to be planned into 2016 for Niven?

  Joyce


Niven NW1 and her nifty haul

No comments:

Post a Comment